Share This Article:
Exercising the Brain: How Seniors Can Stay Mentally Sharp
As people age, it becomes even more important to keep the brain active. Here are some tips that can help your mind stay in shape:
- Play. Word games or puzzles are an excellent way to exercise your mind. Routinely working through complex thought processes will keep your brain functioning quickly. You dont have to stick with simple crosswords. Sudoku, word scrambles, and spelling games are also good ways to play and exercise your brain at the same time.
- Learn. Just because youre beyond your school years, doesnt mean you should stop learning. Learning new things helps work your brain. As the cerebral synapses figure out new paths, you can figure out a new topic or skill.
- Eat (healthy). Lots of foods have brain benefits. Strive for a balanced diet, but load up on the fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
- Relax. Stress and worry can bog down the brain. So, stop worrying and try some relaxing activities to keep your mind working well.
- Exercise. This one comes as no surprise. We have all heard about the benefits of exercise, but most people dont connect physical health to brain health. An exercise regimen with regular aerobic activity helps cognitive function.