Taking on the role of family caregiver is one of the most difficult tasks people face in their lifetime. Providing support to a loved one can increase stress, reduce time to focus on personal obligations, and lead to depression; especially if a family caregiver does not know about available in-home senior care resources that can help.
Here are 10 statistics everyone should know about family caregiving.
10 Family Caregiver Statistics (Below)
- Family caregivers encompass more than one in five Americans. (The National Alliance for Caregiving, 2020 Report)
- 22.3% of adults reported providing care or assistance to a friend or family member in the past 30 days. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Report)
- One in three family caregivers (31.3%), provided 20 or more hours per week of care. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Report)
- About 85% of family caregivers in the U.S. do not receive any respite care. (National Respite Coalition, Report)
- Of working caregivers, 8% state that they have been sidelined from job-growth opportunities because of their caregiving responsibilities. (Aging In Place, Report)
- Nearly 60 percent of caregivers work outside of the home. (Mayo Clinic, Article)
- Family caregivers reporting fair or poor health increases from 14% within the first year to 20% after 5 years or more of providing care. (National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP, Report)
- 40% to 70% of family caregivers have clinically significant symptoms of depression. (Family Caregiver Alliance, Report)
- Skill-based caregiver interventions may be more effective than information and support interventions. (National Library of Medicine, Report)
- Using short-stay respite care services can decrease sympathetic nervous activity during the first half of the sleep period, resulting in qualitative sleep improvement for family caregivers. (National Library of Medicine, Report)
Comfort Keepers provides respite care services to help family caregivers overcome challenges and focus time on themselves. Learn more about our respite care services.