Emergency Preparedness for People With Medical Needs in Federal Way, WA
In a disaster, people who need assistance have extra concerns
- Always have a minimum of a 3 days supply of all current medications
- Store all medications in one location in original containers
- Have a list of all meds including name, dose, frequency and prescribing physician
- Have an extra 3 days supply of any medical items (bandages, ostomy bags, syringes etc.)
- For all medical equipment requiring electric power, check with your medical supply company and get information on back-up power sources (batteries, generators)
- Breathing equipment: If you use oxygen, have a three-day emergency supply of tanks as well as tubing, solutions, medications, etc. Oxygen tanks should be securely braced.
- In case you have to leave your home, have a bag packed at all times. Make sure it has toiletries and THIS BOOKLET!
PEOPLE WHO CAN HELP:
- Having a plan in place for a disaster is very important. Knowing who (family, friends, neighbors) could walk to your home to assist you.
- Ask your local fire department if they keep a list of people with special medical needs; ask to be on their list if they do have one.
- Keep a list of any other people who you can rely on to help with their phone numbers.
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS INTERNET RESOURCES