How do you choose from all the options who to trust to take care of your loved one. We have 19 questions to ask your potential caregiver to help with this important decision.
1. What if I have an emergency and need to contact someone after hours or on weekends and holidays to help? Is 24/7 telephone service provided?
2. Will your agency provide a free in-home assessment prior to starting services?
3. Does your agency conduct national and local background checks of your caregivers?
4. Are your caregivers bonded and insured?
5. Does your agency’s services include personal care such as bathing, incontinence care, and mobility assistance?
6. Does your agency provide transportation services for clients?
7. Does your agency carry liability coverage?
8. Does your agency provide training to caregivers including orientation and ongoing education?
9. Are caregivers employees of your company rather than contractors? Are they protected by Worker’s Compensation?
10. Does your agency provide backup coverage in the event a caregiver cannot make it to work?
11. Does your office maintain a business office where I can meet the office staff?
12. Does your agency provide in writing the plan for care services and describe all the rates and fees?
13. Does your agency make periodic supervisory visits to a client’s home?
14. Does your agency provide documentation explaining the client’s rights, your code of ethics, Worker’s Compensation, and HIPAA compliance?
15. Can your agency provide emergency monitoring systems, medication solutions, and other safety technology?
16. How quickly can your agency initiate service?
17. Does your agency offer the opportunity to meet your caregiver prior to receiving their services?
18. Does your agency have a systematic method for tracking caregiver arrival and departure times at the client’s home?
19. Does your agency require a minimum number of hours per shift? If so, what is the minimum?
If you are still unsure what you need, call our office and we can help you assess your senior's needs and find the right home care solution.