Lowering Your Senior Parent's Risk of Pneumonia with An in Home Caregiver in Hollywood, FL and Surrounding Areas
As an in home caregiver agency in Hollywood, FL, we are acutely aware of the dangers pneumonia poses to the senior population.
There are many causes of pneumonia. Among other things, it can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. When an individual has pneumonia, this means that they are experiencing inflammation of and/or decreased circulation to their lungs. Inflammation and decreased circulation is dangerous because the lungs are less able to get oxygen to the rest of the body.
Not all pneumonia is the same and infections can range from mild to severe. However, the fact is that younger individuals are more able to fight the infection. At the same time, as seniors are generally weaker, it takes them a lot longer to get back on their feet after pneumonia. Unfortunately, many older adults who get pneumonia do die from it. This makes it an absolute imperative to make sure your loved one does all they can to prevent pneumonia. If you are your loved one's in home caregiver, you should learn all you can about the condition. This will do a lot to contribute to increased wellness in your loved one.
How to Reduce Risk of Pneumonia in Older Adults
The following are several tips for in home caregivers designed to help you keep your loved one from developing pneumonia:
- Washing hands is more important than we often understand. Seniors often frequent locations that are frequented by other seniors, and considering the fact that pneumonia is common among this population, washing one's hands frequently can help prevent germs from spreading. This is particularly important during the winter.
- Proper dental hygiene is imperative. This is because pneumonia is often caused by infections of the tooth and gums.
- The flu shot can be a lifesaver. Getting vaccinated against bacterial pneumococcal pneumonia is a good idea as well.
- No smoking. This one does not really need much elaboration.
- Take into consideration your parent's overall health. Being generally in good health and having healthy habits can prevent pneumonia as our bodies are stronger and more prepared to fight infection.
Call for help immediately if you notice any one of these symptoms in your loved one: coughing, chest pain, chills, fever, confusion, fatigue, shortness of breath, delirium, confusion and falls.
To find out how our in home caregiver agency can help your loved one stay in good health, please give us a call today at (954) 289-1938!