Personal Care Services for Seniors in Pittsford, NY, and our surrounding area
Tailor your care plan with support for personal grooming and mobility-related tasks
For seniors who want to live independently at home, but find that daily activities and tasks present difficulty as they age, our experienced caregivers can assist with personal care services such as bathing, mobility assistance, grooming, and more.
What is Personal Care?
Personal care is a broad term that supports basic personal hygiene and activities of daily living, including dressing, grooming, and toileting. Comfort Keepers’ trained caregivers assist with care needs ranging from stand-by assistance to full care, depending on each client’s needs.
This can include basic tasks, such as bathing, mobility assistance, incontinence, and toileting care, preparing and serving meals, to more hands-on personal care services, including position changes for those clients that are bedbound and specialized care for those with memory issues or cognitive impairments, fall risk assessment and prevention, change in condition monitoring.
Personal care services can also assist with outings, social events, shopping trips, and other activities of interest to maintain physical and emotional engagement.
Comfort Keepers can develop a custom care plan for your loved one that includes physical safety and well-being, emotional health, and socialization. Our goal is to help our clients have the best quality of life while maintaining their independence at home.
Plans can include:
Bathing and Hygiene
Comfort Keepers’ goal is to assist our clients with their care routines so they can look and feel their best. Studies show undeniable benefits for seniors’ self-esteem and emotional fitness to have regular hygiene and grooming. We are here to help clients who fear falling while bathing or have limitations that make grooming tasks difficult.
These Tasks May Include:
- Showering and bathing
- Getting dressed, including shoes and accessories (belt, watch, jewelry, etc.)
- Brushing teeth or dentures
- Styling and brushing hair
- Makeup application
- Shaving with an electric razor
With something like bathing, consistency is important — being able to bathe daily or near-daily is essential to staying healthy. Health issues can be caused by a failure to wash frequently enough, yet senior bathing is a task that gets harder as the years pass.
Fall Prevention and Mobility Assistance
Avoid unnecessary risks in the bathroom and around the house. Bathroom features are not always designed for seniors and can be a fall risk. This is especially true for surfaces that may be wet and slippery after a bath or shower. Reducing falls in the home is one of seniors' and their families' top safety concerns.
Our caregivers greatly reduce this risk by providing mobile assistance inside the home and helping to keep the home safe from fall risks. There are many benefits to having extra hands for mobility assistance around the house, including:
- Less risk with trained help and a steady arm
- Less temptation to skip out on housekeeping tasks or personal hygiene, like getting to the bathroom to bathe or getting around the kitchen for dinner
- Companionship to help with chores makes tasks easier to complete and brings comfort in having someone to talk to and socialize with.
Transferring and Positioning
As we age, moving around the house can get more difficult. One of our top priorities is helping our clients move around their homes comfortably. This may include getting in and out of bed, chairs, and wheelchairs.
Proper transferring and positioning can contribute to reducing bedsore risks. This also helps reduce muscle atrophy while encouraging proper breathing and digestion. It can also lower the risk of falls and injuries.
Toileting and Incontinence Care
We understand the sensitive nature of toileting and incontinence care for our clients. Our caregivers offer compassionate, dignified help with these personal aspects of daily living.
At Comfort Keepers, we can provide a senior incontinence care plan and help with daily hygiene. By building a trusted relationship, our caregivers can help your loved ones in the comfort of their homes. A big part of incontinence care is simply remaining clean and comfortable.
Incontinence can be a difficult issue for a senior to discuss. If the senior or a loved one is not willing to ask for help, hygiene issues can arise and may compound over time.
Senior Nutrition and Meal Prep
Our caregivers can support physician-prescribed nutrition and diet plans. We also assist with grocery shopping and meal preparation that meets nutritional needs or accommodates special dietary restrictions.
It is common for seniors to be on a restricted diet. A doctor or a nutritionist may include special dietary needs in a wellness plan, which can include limits on what can be consumed or in what quantities. Common situations include:
- Different medications can have food restrictions or associated sensitivities, and physician-created nutrition plans typically account for these sensitivities. Timing of medication doses can be a critical part of a care plan. Timing can be a concern, especially if a senior is dealing with physical limitations or memory loss.
- Proper nutrition can be an issue for seniors living alone. Moving around the kitchen and lifting pots and pans may be harder than it once was, and as a result, healthier home-cooked meals are challenging. Instead, those meals may be substituted with fast, packaged, or less calorie consumption. The elderly needs to consume enough calories and the right nutrients to avoid obesity, excessive weight loss, and dehydration.
- Dehydration can lead to several serious problems if left unchecked. It continues to be among the most frequent causes of hospitalization among older adults. Eight 8-ounce glasses are generally considered the standard for proper daily intake, but more may be needed depending on prescribed medications or health conditions.
Whether someone is seeking help following a special diet or looking for companionship in the kitchen, our caregivers can assist with wholesome at-home meals. Our goal is to make mealtime both healthy and enjoyable.
Our Uplifting Personal Care Services can also include:
- Care for those with memory issues or cognitive impairments
- Medication reminders and management
- Assisting with errands or transportation to appointments
- Support for physician-prescribed exercise programs
- Change in condition monitoring
- Fall risk assessment and assistance with fall prevention
Not Sure What Care You Need?
Those interested in learning more about Comfort Keepers of Pittsford, NY, and our home care services may contact one of our knowledgeable caregivers to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. During this session with a professional caregiver, your loved one's needs, circumstances, interests, and desires will be thoroughly examined. This will allow us to create a care plan tailored to their unique needs, personality, and lifestyle. Contact our senior care team using one of the options listed below to get started. We strive to provide the highest quality of care. If you or a loved one could benefit from companionship, personal care, or any of our specialized services, we would love to talk to you today; contact us online or give us a call (585) 249-0100.