Aging In Place & In Home Health Care in Palatine, IL
Comfort Keepers in Palatine, IL offers in home health care to allow your loved one to age in place.
Aging in place is a term used to describe one’s ability to spend their golden years living safely and happily in the comfort of their own home. In our experience, most older adults have a strong desire to continue aging in place, which is perfectly understandable. However, many seniors struggle to maintain an independent lifestyle due to deteriorating health, chronic conditions or mobility issues. In such circumstances, a team of expert caregivers from a reliable in home health care agency may be your best option.
- Step 1: Create A Safe Environment
- To help your senior mom or dad continue aging in place, you need to make sure they are living in a safe environment. Consider fall-proofing their home by removing or fixating slippery rugs and carpets and installing grab bars in key areas of the house such as bathrooms and staircases.
- Set aside one weekend to help clear excess clutter and rearrange the furniture so that the hallways and frequently used areas are more accessible. Doing so can significantly reduce the risk of falls and injuries; a risk common in aging adults.
- Step 2: Help Out
- Do your best to help your loved one with housekeeping on a regular basis. You can do this yourself or with the help from other members of the family.
- If you don’t have the time or resources, consider hiring a professional caregiver from an in home health care agency to assist with everyday chores such as cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, laundering, and other activities.
- Step 3: Encourage Social Activity
- Last but not least, social wellness is crucial in maintaining your senior mom or dad’s wellbeing and quality of life. Just like everybody, older adults can thrive when they are surrounded by family and friends – when they have someone to talk to, laugh with or simply share a cup of coffee or tea with. That is why many in home health care agencies specifically include companionship in all of their care plans.
Whether you opt for hiring a professional caregiver or your family will provide care for your parent independently, make sure to stay well informed on aging in place. Comfort Keepers offers a wide selection of articles and online resources on this topic. With access to valuable information, you can help your loved one lead a happy, healthy, active lifestyle for years to come.