Why The Whole Family Should Be Involved In Senior Care
The conversation of beginning senior care by Comfort Keepers of Wichita, KS is a critical family issue.
Many older adults require some type of care or assistance in their golden years. Chronic conditions, depleting health, gradual loss of physical and cognitive functions can all take a serious toll on a senior’s independence and significantly reduce their quality of life. You need to ask yourself - is my senior mom or dad capable of maintaining their independent lifestyle? Could they benefit from some type of care?
When this time comes, your parent will need all the love and support from their family. Whether you opt to provide care independently, hire a professional caregiver from senior care services or place your loved one in an assisted living facility - your family still needs to get involved in the process. After all - who knows a senior’s needs, habits, preferences, and routines better than an adult child or a close family member? By making this a family matter, you can make sure your senior loved one gets all the care and attention they deserve.
To help you choose the best type of senior care services for an aging loved one, your family might want to consider the following:
- What is the best way to start the conversation with your parent about their growing care needs?
- How will your family fund professional senior care services – can your loved one’s insurance cover the costs of home care in its entirety or just partially, are they eligible for some other type of senior benefits or is paying out of pocket an option?
- What type of care could your senior mom or dad most benefit from – personal care, assistance with housekeeping and meal preparation, medication reminders, grocery shopping/running errands?
- Does a family member reside in your loved one’s vicinity?
- What senior care services are available in the area?
You should also consider consulting with your loved one’s doctor before you reach any final decision. A physician can bring you up to speed regarding your senior mom or dad’s care needs and help you decide on the best possible course of action.
If you are looking for quality senior care options in Wichita, KS, Comfort Keepers can help. Call our office today or fill out our contact form and schedule a free in-home care consultation with one of our friendly client care coordinators. We can discuss your parent’s care needs and come up with a viable care plan together. Comfort Keepers is at your service!