In-Home Senior Care: Warning Signs Your Loved One Needs It
To age gracefully is one of the biggest gifts in life. However, with age comes certain problems that no one wants to discuss, yet they cannot be overlooked after a certain period. When you notice them in your elderly parents, it is time to seek in-home senior care, as it can help your elderly lead a healthy and safe life.
Here are the warning signs you should look for when determining whether your elderly needs in-home senior care.
- Poor personal hygiene The first thing that becomes apparent about your elderly is if they cannot take proper care of themselves. If your elderly parents cannot do basic hygiene routines such as taking a bath, brushing their teeth, or combing their hair, it is a clear sign that they need help with personal care.
- Forgetfulness We all take for granted a certain amount of forgetfulness in our elderly. However, forgetfulness is a sign of an unhealthy mind, and when it often happens with important things, it can have severe consequences. If your elderly parents turn on the stove and forget to turn it off or don’t take their meds on time, such things can cause life-threatening problems. If it is happening frequently, you need to seek help.
- Improper nutrition The foods your elderly parents eat significantly impacts their health. They may have a problem if they do not eat nutrient-rich foods at least three times a day. Check whether they can cook for themselves and if not, do they have someone to cook for them? Whatever the reason is, not having proper meals is a warning sign you must not ignore.
- Illness or surgical recovery If your elderly loved one is diagnosed with certain illnesses such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, or other diseases that affect their cognitive abilities, they need in-home senior care. Also, if they have high-risk surgery and need time and care to recover, it is best to hire in-home senior care professionals to look after them. We provide specialized after-surgery (post-hospital) care that can assist your senior get back on their feet as soon as possible.
- Unsteady mobility If your elderly parent has balance issues or poor vision that puts them in danger often, it is time to think about senior home care. These problems may seem harmless but can lead to falls and injuries, leading to hospitalization and other major health concerns.
- Inability to drive If your elderly parents find it risky or impossible to drive, it is time to consider in-home senior care. Rather than taking away their independence and limiting them to one place, it is best to hire help that can take them to and from any place safely. Please visit our senior transportation page for more information about this popular service.
- Depression and isolation Sometimes the issues are more mental than physical, but that doesn't mean they don’t require as much attention. If you notice that your parent or spouse is becoming increasingly aloof and isolated, hiring an in-home senior care professional who can act as a senior companion is a good option.
Comfort Keepers is your one-stop destination if you are looking for a reputable and trustworthy in-home care provider for your elderly in Pensacola, FL. We are award-winning in-home care professionals with a wide range of services. From in-home care to respite care, we have it all. You can reach us at (850) 791-6700 or fill out our contact form to learn more about our services.