Personal care guidance for the elderly
For seniors who want to live independently at home, but find that daily activities and tasks present difficulty as they age, our experienced caregivers can assist with personal care guidance.
In-home care services can also include assistance with outings, social events, shopping trips, and other activities of interest to maintain engagement both physically and emotionally.
Comfort Keepers can develop a custom care plan for your loved one that includes physical safety and wellbeing, emotional health, and socialization. Our goal is to help our clients have the best quality of life while maintaining their independence at home.
With something like bathing, consistency is important — being able to bathe daily, or near-daily, is essential to staying healthy. Health issues can be caused by a failure to wash frequently enough, our caregivers can give standby support and supervision to help seniors maintain proper hygiene.
Fall Prevention and Mobility Assistance
Avoid unnecessary risks in the bathroom and around the house. Bathroom features are not always designed with seniors in mind and can be a fall risk. This is especially true for surfaces that may be wet and slippery after a bath or shower. Reducing falls in the home is one of the top safety concerns that seniors and their families face.
Our caregivers greatly reduce this risk by providing mobile assistance inside the home and helping to keep the home safe from fall risks. There are many benefits to having extra hands for mobility assistance around the house, including:
- Less risk with trained help and a steady arm
- Less temptation to skip out on housekeeping tasks or personal hygiene, like getting to the bathroom to bathe or getting around the kitchen for dinner
- Companionship to help with chores not only makes tasks easier to complete, but also brings comfort just in having someone to talk to and socialize.
Toileting and Incontinence Care
We understand the sensitive nature of toileting and incontinence care for our clients. Our caregivers offer compassionate, dignified standby services with these personal aspects of daily living.
At Comfort Keepers, we can provide a senior incontinence care plan and remind those in our care about daily hygiene. By building a trusted relationship, our caregivers can help your loved ones in the comfort of home. A big part of dealing with incontinence care is simply remaining clean and comfortable.
Incontinence can be a difficult issue for a senior to discuss. If the senior or a loved one is not willing to ask for help, hygiene issues can arise and may compound over time.
Senior Nutrition & Meal Prep
Our caregivers can support physician-prescribed nutrition and diet plans. We also provide assistance with grocery shopping and meal preparation that meets nutritional needs or accommodates special dietary restrictions.
It is not uncommon for seniors to be on a restricted diet. A doctor or a nutritionist may include special dietary needs in a wellness plan, which can include limits on what can be consumed, or in what quantities. Common situations include:
- Different medications can have food restrictions or sensitivities associated with them, and physician-created nutrition plans typically account for these sensitivities. Timing of medication doses can be a critical part of a care plan. Timing can be a concern, especially if a senior is dealing with physical limitations or memory loss. We will remind your loved one when it is time to take their medications.
- Proper nutrition can be an issue for seniors living alone. Moving around the kitchen and lifting pots and pans may be harder than it once was, and as a result, healthier home-cooked meals are challenging. Instead, those meals may be substituted with fast food, packaged food, or simply less calorie consumption. It's especially important for the elderly to consume enough calories and the right nutrients to avoid obesity, excessive weight loss, and dehydration.
- Dehydration can lead to a number of serious problems if left unchecked. It continues to be one of the most frequent causes of hospitalization among older adults. Eight 8-ounce glasses is generally considered the standard when it comes to proper daily intake, but more may be needed depending on prescribed medications or health conditions.
Whether someone is seeking help following a special diet or looking for companionship in the kitchen, our caregivers can provide the assistance necessary for wholesome at-home meals. Our goal is to make mealtime both healthy and enjoyable.
Our uplifting care services can also include:
- Care for those with memory issues or cognitive impairments
- Medication reminders
- Assisting with errands or transportation to appointments
- Support for physician-prescribed exercise programs
- Change in condition monitoring
- Fall risk assessment and assistance with fall prevention
Contact Us Today
We strive to provide the highest quality care in Centereach, NY, and the surrounding areas. If you or a loved one could benefit from companionship, in-home care, or any of our specialized care services, we would love to speak with you to see how we can help! Please contact one of our senior caregivers via one of the options provided below: