Eddystone In-Home Care Services
Along the banks of the Delaware River, Eddystone (PA) is home to 2,596 residents with a median household income of $44,306 and median property value of $92,200. Eddystone is 17 miles southwest of Philadelphia.
History of Eddystone
This small town in Delaware County was settled by the Swedes in 1641. Founded by William Simpson in the 1840’s, the name Eddystone comes from the Eddystone Lighthouse near Plymouth, England. Eddystone was known for the Eddy Print Works, a textile manufacturing plant. In 1876, it relocated from Philadelphia to present-day Eddystone. The township was incorporated in 1888.
Eddystone was home to the Baldwin Locomotive Works Plant in the early 1900s. During WWI, another manufacturer opened in Eddystone, which produced something quite different than textiles and trains – rifles. The Eddystone Rifle Plant by Remington Arms built weapons for the war. A portion of the Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company was also located here, due to Eddystone’s location on the Delaware River. In the 1950s, a power generation plant was built, which is now operated by Exelon. Eddystone is once again back in the rail business with the Eddystone Rail Company facility, which opened in 2014. At this facility, crude oil from North Dakota is received by rail and put onto a barge to be delivered to nearby refineries.
The Pattern 1914 Enfield Rifle and the M1917 Enfield Rifle were manufactured at the Eddystone Rifle Plant. These rifles were used by American soldiers in France during WWI.
Things to Do in Eddystone
- Harrah’s Philadelphia & Racetrack – A stone’s throw from Eddystone, this exciting casino has table games, Guy Fieri’s Philly Kitchen & Bar, shows and more. There’s also live harness racing on one of the fastest 5/8 tracks in North America.
- John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum – Established in 1972, John Heinz at Tinicum is America’s first urban refuge (Philadelphia International Airport is practically next store). The purpose of the refuge is to preserve, restore and develop the Tinicum marsh and to promote environmental education.
- Sciarrino’s Pizzeria – This hometown pizza joint serves specialty pizza, such as the Holiday White Pizza and the Hawaiian Pizza. You’ll enjoy their salads, appetizers, pasta dishes and more!
- Tyler Memorial Arboretum – Tyler Arboretum at Widener University is just a short drive from Eddystone. After a great lunch at Sciarrino’s Pizza, take in the beauty of this 30-acre reserve of plantings and natural lands.
- Smedley Park – Named after Samuel L. Smedley, the founder of Delaware County’s Parks & Recreation Board, this 120-acre park is accessible by car and trolley. You’ll find picnic groves, play areas, hiking paths, playing fields and more!
Professional Home Care in Eddystone
When the time comes for your elderly loved one to need extra care or support, give Comfort Keepers a call. Our Comfort Keepers have the training and experience to improve your parent’s quality of life while staying in their home (or yours). We offer an array of services from companionship and grooming to Interactive care and Alzheimer’s care. We serve a number of communities in southern Delaware County in addition to Eddystone, such as Chester, Springfield, Parkside, Woodlyn and Ridley Park. Contact us today at
Walter Dillinger Reviews Comfort Keepers
Eddystone Senior Caregivers
A great team I would recommend to anyone!