Everyone forgets where they put the keys or if they paid that bill. As we age however, the “gray matter” seems to develop a special affinity for our brain region.
Actively incorporating just a couple of the techniques below into your daily life can help keep your brain firing fast so you can keep thinking fast on your feet.
Brain Games are one of the most fun ways to maintain mental sharpness and form new neural connections.
- Bump up your interest in sudoku, crossword puzzles, scrabble, and chess.
- Seek out a new skill like gardening, knitting, or woodworking. Enjoy your newfound hobby with a group and compare notes on techniques.
- Get out there and volunteer or take a yoga, swimming, or music class. Social interaction, though sometimes daunting, provide excellent opportunity to stretch our mental muscles.
Exercise stimulates the brain regions associated with learning and creating long-term memories, and it gets the blood flowing and circulating to all of the right areas.
- Gather a walking group and meet at a set time each day (Many studies confirm that walking is an especially beneficial exercise for the brain).
- Mix up light aerobic exercise with stretching, or consider a low-impact activity like a water aerobics class.
- Gentle group exercises like Tai Chi get you moving and promote relaxation, a necessary ingredient for nixing stress and promoting good sleep patterns.