Comfort Keepers Home Care Specialists in McKinney and Allen, TX and the Surrounding Areas.
Home Care Specialists Can Help Seniors with Fire Prevention in McKinney and Allen, TX and the Surrounding Areas.
Home fires can be particularly deadly for seniors. Seniors have a higher risk of having a house fire and if a fire occurs it is harder for seniors to safely and quickly leave the home. Home care specialists can help seniors by making sure that there is enough fire safety equipment like smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in the home. They can also help seniors by making sure that exit routes are clean and free of clutter that could cause seniors to fall.
Getting old is associated with a decline in ones mental as well as physical abilities, a major explanation to their sluggish and relatively uncoordinated response to fire accidents. Their ability to make use of the five senses in escaping from fire accidents is also greatly impaired. As a company, Comfort Keepers in home care providers has a staff that is well educated on these issues.
Elderly people have an unfortunate increase in reaction timing. Anatomical changes to the corpus callosum, and other neural areas occasioned by aging are thought to be responsible for this. Medications which have significant effects on the nervous system also tend to make the drowsy and slow to respond to emergencies. Home care specialists can ensure that seniors are able to get out of the house if a fire should occur.
As much as these risk factors are associated with detrimental effects to the seniors, Comfort Keepers in home care provider believes that addressing the sources of the house fires could help improve the situation. Adopting safe cooking practices and getting rid of grease which easily catches fire could really help. Besides that, being keen while using alternative lighting such as candles, fixing faulty electrical circuits and preferring safe smoking practices will work the trick.
Tips on fire safety and prevention
- Installation of smoke detectors; as the saying goes, where there is smoke there’s fire. Detecting smoke in timely fashion could prevent major fire accidents. The detectors should be positioned in well-thought locations such as ceilings, sleeping areas and in every floor in storied building. Apart from fixing them regular maintenance by cleaning and replacement of the batteries is advised.
- Devising a response plan; as much as detector would help you know the presence of a fire, having a plan will help in undertaking directed efforts in case of a fire accident. Mark the exit routes and place walking aids in the appropriate places for the seniors.
- Take on safe cooking practices; to avoid kitchen fires you ought to be more cautious while cooking besides getting rid of grease on your cooking pots. Having an ABC fire extinguisher is recommended.
- Adopt responsible smoking habits; avoid smoking while in the kitchen and getting rid of ash in an appropriate manner.
- Fix your faulty electrical circuits; address electrical problems such as dimming lights and overloaded switches to avoid electrical fires.
Home Care Specialists and Home Safety
Home care specialists can routinely test fire safety equipment and make sure that all smoke detectors are working and change the batteries in them regularly. Home care providers can also help seniors with cooking to make sure that the stove isn’t left on while cooking. If you are worried about your senior loved one in McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Prosper, TX & the surrounding areas and want to increase your loved one’s fire safety at home call Comfort Keepers of McKinney, TX today to find out more about how home care specialists can keep your loved one safe at home.
To learn more about our care services today, contact us or call (972) 347-0221 for more information.