The Caregiver Crisis & Planning for Care
Learn more about the increasing caregiver shortage that could affect your senior loved one and how home care could help.
AARP projects that by 2020 there will be 117 million Americans needing care and only 5 million paid caregivers to provide the care.
This shortage is going to put increasing pressure on family caregivers and result in seniors receiving inadequate care.
Caregiver shortages and turnover rates have grown at an alarming rate. In a survey of over 500 post-acute care providers, results indicated:
• High levels of caregiver shortages and turnover rates among assisted living, nursing home, home care and hospice providers
• Major problems finding applicants and qualified caregivers
• Caregivers leave for other higher paying or less-demanding non-health care positions (retail, fast food)
• Widespread use of overtime, double shifts and other strategies to fill scheduling gaps
This shortage is impacting both the quality and availability of senior care in facilities & in the home
The Options for Families
Comfort Keepers stresses the importance of pre-planning and anticipating the need for care.
- Allow seniors to get comfortable with having help in their home while they are healthy.
- Integrate Comfort Keepers technology solutions & home modifications into a comprehensive plan.
- Prevent crises by starting with a light schedule of interactive services.
- Be a Comfort Keeper client so rapidly changing needs can be met with a simple call to add shifts.
Comfort Keepers is being proactive also! Cutting-edge management and business practices are how we attract and retain our exceptional caregivers!
AARP April 2016 Caregivers & Technology
Leading Age Ohio- The Long-Term Care Workforce Crisis: Caregivers Needed! A 2016 Report