March is National Kidney Month and we want to share some of kidney health tips with you from alternativemedicine.com
- Stop smoking.
- Get your “levels” under control: cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Rethink your diet. Avoid sodas and salty/processed foods.
- Pay attention to your digestion: adding pre- and pro-biotics can aid elimination
- Avoid pain medication and any other prescription or over-the-counter medicines that may tax the kidneys such as Motrin, Advil and any other NSAIDs.
- Get plenty of exercise, including aerobics that will get your heart rate up, five or six times a week.
- Stay hydrated. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water every day.
- Cut back on alcohol consumption. This can increase blood pressure and urination (causing dehydration).
- Do something every day to decompress and de-stress.
- Take herbs: Dandelion and/or Stinking nettle.
These steps may seem like a large change in your diet/daily routine but the health of your kidneys is very important. If you have any questions consult your doctor.
How do you make sure to get at least 6-8 glasses of water everyday? How did you cut out sodas and processed, salty foods? Let us know!